Church History

The History of Union United Methodist Church

The Union Church site became a preaching place about the time Shallow Ford Circuit was formed from the Yadkin Circuit in 1830. Two tracts of land were given for public use by Mr. Harry Poindexter, whose old homesite is just East of the Shallow Ford Bridge. One tract was to be used for a cemetery on the Shallowford Road just East of the Bridge and the other tract is the present site of this church. In setting aside the tract for a church Mr. Poindexter intended to provide for a place of public worship regardless of denomination. That accounts for it being named Union. Methodists were prominent among those using the Union site. They were people who had responded to preaching that had been known in the neighborhood since 1783. Since 1783 traveling preachers of this section preached here when they could.

The Forsyth Circuit was formed in 1847. At that time, the Forsyth Circuit had sixteen churches on it, all served by one pastor. The pastor could only make a few visits to each church each year. In 1851 the first circuit rider appointed by the conference preached regularly at Union.

Mr. Poindexter disposed of his land without having made a deed to any church organization. In 1855 Christian Nading, then owner of Poindexter Plantation, deeded the church site to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The first meeting place was a brush arbor which was later replaced by a small log church. The church was known as the Union Meeting House for many years. The present church was built in 1886. Over the years it has been remodeled and has become the beautiful worship place we have today.